Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The fine line of liking someone

Tuesday, February 21, 2006


There have been times in the past where I’ve been into someone early into the relationship. But then it’s as if they get a sniff of that adoration and run for the hills.

“To much, too soon,” one former lover told me. What? Was I the only one in your bed last night?

As exciting as an early relationship may be, that excitement is partly brought on by the knowledge that you’re treading dangerous waters. Paddle too hard and you’re prone to lose control and fly off the edge of the waterfall. Paddle too softly and come across as too aloof, uncaring and not interested.

Every once in blue moon, a connection is made and a sense of hope grows alongside the jitters. But how much of that hope do you share with your new fascination?

After crashing and burning more times than NASA first rocket prototypes, I now say go with the flow and see where it takes you. I once believed that you should just blurt out how you feel and hope it sticks, like bologna to a fridge door (it sticks – trust me). My mentality was that if my feelings didn’t stick, that person wasn’t worth your time in the first place. However, I realized that some people aren’t as forthcoming with their feelings as I am and many can’t handle the truth that someone might actually like them – flaws and all. It freaks them out. For some, it forces them to question whether the insecurities they’ve based their entire lifestyles on actually were real (they usually are as real as Bigfoot). There’s comfort in ignoring change.

I must admit - I’ve been one of those persons. Several women have expressed their affections for me a little too enthusiastically and/or too quickly, effectively signing their death warrant and/or free scarlet letter. I felt like I would give away some sort of independence or would be missing out on something else if I handed over my innermost secrets too soon.

The moral of the story is it’s difficult to find someone that’s as interested in you as you are them, at the same time. It feels like those of us who know how to pull back or move forward at the right time are the ones that succeed in relationships. Whoever said love isn’t a game was downright wrong. This is an intense bout of motherfuckin’ RISK. Except you’re not really conquering countries with calvary and artillery. You win by honing the ability to hold your shit together and keep your mouth shut.

1 comments:

Blandy Snorhal said...

Sometimes it seems more like a game of Sorry. And the point is to make it home as fast as possible. And alone.