Tuesday, February 14, 2006

February Spawned a New Morrissey Record

Tuesday, February 14, 2006


Valentine's grocery list:
1 package of razor blades
1 bottle of sleeping pills
1 bottle of Wolf Blass Yellow Label
1 advance copy of Morrissey's Ringleader of the Tormentors

In my singlehood, the Valentine's gods shone down on me as I received notice that a highly guarded copy of the new Morrissey album awaited me at The Coast office a month and a half ahead of its release in April! What's better than sitting in a dark apartment, listening to a man who made a living singing songs about depression and romantic yearning sing about, well, more depression and romantic yearning on the "most romantic" day of the year? Yes!

I rejoiced in my freedom (loneliness) as I read over some of the uplifting (downright sorrowful) titles: "Dear God, Please Help Me," "You Have Killed Me," and my favourite, "Life Is A Pigsty." Oh, Moz - you softie.

I've never been one for Valentine's Day. Not that I'm against showing expressions of your love for that special someone, but I think that every day should be a day to show your feelings for the one(s) you care about.

Take this for example. The girlfriend of one of my fellow workers shows up at the office this afternoon to drop off a balloon tied to a stuffed animal. Cute. We give him a hard time. Fun. But the best part is when the office hockey team, who is supposed to play tonight, comes down to our end of the office with a balloon attached to chocolates with a card. They jokingly ask him to read the card out loud.

Dear SDI hockey team,
Please excuse Brad as he will not be attending

hockey tonight as his presence is required at
home.
I hope the chocolates will make up for his absence.
Thank you.

Let's just say, someone is getting some action tonight and it ain't at the ice rink.

But hey, having an Anti-Valentine's Day is always more fun than buying Hallmark cards and a box of chocolates. So, forget the stuffed animals. I'll take the Mozzer, songs about how life and love suck, and a case of Nytol, please.

*In reality, I had wine with a nice, smart, cute, and funny girl. Because if you can't figure out an excuse to do so on Feb. 14, then you're trying too hard. And I got a message from an ex I never expected to get. All in all, a strange Valentine's. Not too shabby, really.

0 comments: