Tuesday, March 07, 2006

A Question of Love

Tuesday, March 07, 2006
Is love possible in this generation?

Lately I've talked to so many people my age who are afraid of the idea of love. Rather than something that might bring great fulfillment and happiness into their lives, many believe that falling in love means giving up independence, compromises their individuality, and gets in the way of long-term endeavours and plans.

I admit it: I’m a hopeless romantic. I’ve been slightly jaded over the years, but I still remain smitten with the notion of unabashed, uncontrollable feelings towards another individual.

I look at feelings like a set of tasks. When a task arises, we adjust to accommodate them. But do we forget the tasks that have been set before? No, we do not. When one falls for someone else should they ignore the feeling because it may get in the way of some set plan? I say no. I believe it’s possible to make allowances for both goals and love. If one truly has a strong feeling for someone else, they can make room for those feelings. And the object of their affection, if that affection rings true, will support those goals.

I believe ignoring feelings rather than acknowledging them leads to worse consequences. It’s as though one is throwing a wrench in the machine that is life. To ignore affection is to welcome sadness, confusion, and personal repression.

Yes, I wholeheartedly believe we must stay driven. But love is a welcome respite in a world of pain and suffering. Stay focused, yet remain open to the possibilities that may arise and let some light in.

0 comments: